System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) is an enterprise backup system. Using DPM you can backup (copy) data from a source location to a target secondary location. If original data is unavailable because of planned or unexpected issues, you can restore data from the secondary location. Using DPM you can back up application data from Microsoft servers and workloads, and file data from servers and client computers. You can create full backups, incremental backups, differential backups, and bare-metal backups to completely restore a system.
This topic summarizes the new features and enhancements that are available in System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) in System Center 2012.
- Centralized management of multiple DPM servers.
- Remote management of DPM servers.
- Support for multiple DPM servers to share one instance of SQL Server for DPMDB.
- Certificate-based authentication for computers in workgroups or untrusted domains.
- Optimized item-level recovery for SharePoint farms.
- Improved usage of tapes through protection group sets.
- Support for protecting VMM hosts.